3-monochloro-1,2-propanediol (3-MCPD), 2-monochloro-1,3-propanediol (2-MCPD) and glycidol are among the production-related contaminants in oil and fat-containing foods. They arise from the refining process required in the production of oils. 3-MCPD is suspected of damaging DNA and causing cancer. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) states a tolerable daily intake of 3-MCPD of 2 µg per kilogram body weight. A harmful effect is also suspected for 2-MCPD. This has already been varified for glycidol.
Their carcinogenicity requires efficient analysis in order to detect the increased content in food quickly, reliably and as simply as possible. With the CHRONECT Workstation MCPD, the entire time-consuming sample preparation and analysis is fully automated. With DGF Fast & Clean Axel Semrau has optimized the DGF C-VI 18(10) method. Clean samples and a fast analysis are guaranteed.
In order to determine the content of MCPD and glycidol, an indirect method for the determination of the occurring esters can be used in compliance with the specifications of the DGF (German Society for Fat Science). This method includes the transesterification of the MCPD and glycidyl esters, as well as the extraction of the resulting free MCPD and its derivatisation. All steps of this method have been automated. Users only need to weigh the sample and provide sodium sulfate. The entire system is linked to the user-friendly software platform CHRONOS. This optimizes system productivity and enables online validation of the data.
Axel Semrau recommends DGF Fast & Clean as the most powerful method. But also the other AOCS methods can be performed automatically.
- Automation of the AOCS methods: DGF classic, 3-in-1, Zwagerman and Unilever
- High accuracy and reproducibility
- Measurement result of a sample in only 45 minutes with DGF Fast & Clean
- up to 36 samples in 24 hours with DGF Fast & Clean
- Sample preparation online or offline possible
- low maintenance effort due to Clean-Technology
- automatic doping and measurement of QC samples for LOD/LOQ determination and recovery
- optimal online validation of data through CHRONOS plugins